Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Impossible

After checking out the HAED House-Mouse designs I got to thinking about one of the many patterns I have in my stash, it's one of my favorites. I call it my impossible pattern, it's a HAED design, The Journey Begins based on the painting done by Scott Gustafson.

The Journey Begins by Scott Gustafson

This bad boy is charted over 42 pages, using 50 different colors for a total of 175,000 stitches! There used to be an family owned art gallery & framing shop, which sadly closed a few years ago, right up the street that hosted a Christmas open house, with Scott Gustafson as a guest. I have love Scott Gustafson's artwork (check out his website, it's amazing) since seeing it as a kid at this gallery. Prior to meeting him I had actually seen one of the originals of The Journey Begins there. At the open house I won a pencil sketch of his otter character that he did earlier in the day during a demonstration. He also signed a copy of his book, "Alphabet Soup: A Feast of Letters", for me. Hopefully someday it will turn out to be a non-impossible pattern!

8 comments:

  1. Aww the link doesn't work for me. :( I want to see the otter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that, the link was weird but it's fixed now!

    Some of my favorites are his fairy tale & nursery rhyme painting, they are so colorful and detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. His artwork is amazing!
    That HAED of yours would be awesome stitched. For me, an HAED is impossible right now. I think I could only manage one of them in retirement some day when I have a lot more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott was a year ahead of me in school in our little town in IL. Everybody knew from early on he would be an awesome artist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fantastic.. I hope it becomes possability some day.
    Shay

    ReplyDelete
  6. that will take a day or two to stitch!! But what an heirloom when you finish it!!
    Glad you checked out the House Mouse on HAED. I can't wait to start mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooner begun, sooner done, Nick! The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alot of work in a HAED & slow going... but so worth it! Fantastic design. :0)

    ReplyDelete